Sunday, January 9, 2011

Core Concept Notes (12/13-1/7)

Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are dead:
-explores the idea of what happens to characters when the play is over
-the opening scene represents their birth as the play begins, and then they die at the end

Death of a Salesman:
-Willy is portrayed as a child
-Linda is motherly, but more so towards Willy than her own children
-Happy is striving to get out of Bif's shadow but can't, and so continues to pursue
  Willly's goals to prove they were worthwile
-Bif grows the most throughout, and discovers who her is
-explores the difference between being loved and well-liked

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jack,

    Pass. These notes look like they'll be helpful for finals this week; you pointed out some important things that we discussed about both works, but I would maybe add some more detail about Death of a Salesman in particular. We spent a long time analyzing the play because there's a lot of important stuff in there. You did touch on the main things though.. nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pass.
    I think your DoaS notes are good, since you cover the main concepts, but I would expand on the Rosencrantz notes, because I think you're missing some main ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your peer reviewers missed an important detail here, Jack--where are your notes on the Stoppard article?

    ReplyDelete